I can admit to the fact that I actually enjoy washing up! I don’t have to do this after each and every meal, which I agree, would make it a real irritation! Help around the house is a real luxury us South Africans enjoy.
(Love you Thembi!)
These are a few things that make it fun:
- We are geared to making this task a pleasure as we only have great crockery, cutlery and utensils to deal with (Tip – throw out anything that is not a pleasure to handle!)
- Our wash up is close to the cooking area. We can all be together and no one is stuck away in a back room missing out on the fun!
- We have a dishwasher which is great for when we are entertaining and we can “hide” the dirty dishes out of sight and set it going once we are all in bed
- We also have a sprayer which cleans down the worst off the plates – grinding the remnants to alleviate any leftover food lying around
- We have 2 aluminium bowls which we place in the large ceramic sink – one for the soap suds and one for rinsing. Our whole family is obsessed with rinsing off the soap so no residue is left on the dishes
- We have placed an adjustable drainer over the awaiting aluminium bowls to collect up all the dirty cutlery making stacking the plates easy and neat. The job of cleaning up seems more achievable if everything is stacked in like-size piles
- We store all the clean cloths under the sink for easy access making it quick to replace a soaking wet drying up cloth